Sheriff’s deputy recovering following shooting in Oologah

A Rogers County Sheriff's deputy is recovering after being shot during a struggle at a domestic violence call overnight. 

According to Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton, deputies responded shortly before midnight Tuesday, April 2 to assist the Oologah Police Department with an assault in progress in the city limits, in which an adult son was attacking his father with a screwdriver.

Sheriff Walton said at one point, an officer attempted to deploy a Taser on the man, which, for unknown reasons, failed, and the man fled from the house and barricaded himself inside a nearby metal building.

Deputies then made attempts to convince the man to surrender, which he did not, but reportedly made statements multiple times that deputies were “going to have to kill him”, according to Walton.

The man eventually emerged from the metal building and “charged deputies in an aggressive manner,” attempting to seize one of the deputy’s weapons, Walton said. In the ensuring struggle, the deputy’s weapon discharged twice, striking the officer in the side of his abdomen, causing a superficial wound.

The deputy was subsequently taken to the hospital and released, Walton said, while the adult son was taken to a Tulsa hospital where he was treated for a head injury. Walton said it is unknown as to if the suspect’s wounds came about as a result of the struggle with the deputy or due to a possible fight with his father prior to the deputy’s arrival.

The deputy is reportedly doing well and expected to fully recover from the injury.

After his release from the hospital, the suspect will be facing criminal charges.

Walton noted this to be the second time in two weeks wherein a suspect attempted to seize an officer’s weapon.

Additional information regarding this incident will be made known once it is available.

Oologah Lake Leader


109 S. Maple Street, Downtown Oologah
PO Box 1175, Oologah OK 74053-1175
Phone: 918-443-2428
Fax: 918-443-2429